Monday 28 April 2014

Smoothie Nation





  • Everyone wants to be healthy. Its a simple fact but so many of us do unhealthy things that could be simply changed for the better everyday. And one of the most common unhealthy thing people do everyday is skipping breakfast, and no coffee doesn't count at breakfast...I checked.  

  • I whole heartedly raise my hand as a guilty party on this one. I would give my left leg for an extra 15 minutes in bed so breakfast for me is usually the first thing to slide. But it is so bad for you, it slows down your metabolisms and has been proven that people that eat breakfast are more productive and are more personable (e.g those who eat a healthy breakfast are a lot nicer than those of us who scoff a doughnut at the train station and want to die once the sugar has worn off by 10.30am.)

  • But what should someone do who wants the time under the duvet but also the health benefits of a good heathy breakfast. Now ideally we should be have some kind of protein at breakfast but I personally don't like first thing when I wake up, but I think I've found a good compromise. Enter the smoothies! 

  • Fruit is great to eat in the morning and puts your body into drive super first thing. Though it doesn't have protein you can add different health store bought powders, seeds, etc to increase the smoothie power based on your own needs; maybe more energy, vitamin C, or Flaxseed is a great addition to any smoothie. 


  • I love this Berry one as my go-to weekday one - 

  • Berry Flaxseed Blast 
  • 2 tablespoons whole flaxseeds
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
  • 1 cup unsweetened frozen mixed berries or blueberries
  • 1 small banana, sliced


  • I might keep this Mango one till the weekend as there is more ingredients and prep involved. 

    1 cup chopped ripe mango
    • 1/2 cup mango sorbet
    • 1/4 cup skim milk
    • 2 tablespoons honey
    • 2 teaspoons lime juice
    • 1/4 cup crushed ice
    • 2 mango slices, 1/2-inch thick
    • 1 lime slice


    This Strawberry one actually remind me of childhood and a smoothies my mum used to make. Super easy and a nice change to have during the week. 

    1 quart (4 cups) ripe strawberries
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 4 thin orange slices (optional)





  • Super easy, and it you want maximum time in bed then simply buy your chosen fruit in bulk & pop them in the freezer, then pick out just what you need the night before and leave in your blender over night and just push a button in the morning and pour. And you'll have a lovely chilled smoothie the next day. It's really is that easy! 

    Would this be something you'd try in the morning ? And if so, do you have any smoothie recipes to pass on?? 


    1 comment:

    1. These recipes look delicious and I'll definitely be making the mango one in huge batches for my flatmate with terrible eating habits (she loves mango!) The only thing is, based on things I've ready recently on fruit and sugar and how it's the new sat fat blah blah blah, I'd suggest maybe cutting a bit of the fruit and filling the smoothies with vegetables too? Ok, I haven't tried this yet but hey maybe you can and then you can let me know if it works :p xxx
      La Lingua : Food, Life, Love, Travel, Friends, Italy

      ReplyDelete